This Mexican Style Bow Tie pasta recipe is a low-calorie dish that makes a great well-rounded meal.
- 8 oz. Bow Ties, Elbow Macaroni (or your favorite pasta shape), uncooked*
- 8 oz. lean ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans or pinto beans, drained
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 (8 oz.) cans whole kernel, no-salt-added corn, drained
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup low-fat, plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup medium salsa
In a medium skillet, brown ground beef and drain any excess fat. Add beans, cumin and chili powder; heat through. Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
In large bowl, combine pasta, meat mixture, tomatoes, corn, green pepper, cheese and onions.
In small bowl, combine yogurt and salsa. Add to pasta mixture and toss well. Serve warm or cold. Garnish with additional salsa, if desired.
*Whole-grain, multi-grain or whole-wheat pasta varieties may be substituted
Makes 6 servings of mexican style bow ties. Per serving: 425 calories, 11.5 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 57 g carbohydrate, 22 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 505 mg sodium.
An exclusive PastaFits.org recipe