- 8 ounces cavatelli or other pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 links chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup Crema Mexicana
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup Queso Fresco cheese
- 1/4 cup pepitas, roasted and salted
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
Cook pasta according to package direction.
In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown sausage in the oil until golden brown.
In a blender, combine pumpkin puree, Crema Mexicana, chipotle peppers, salt, maple syrup, cumin, and pumpkin pie spice. Blend until puree’d then pour in skillet and cook until warm. Toss in hot, cooked pasta.
Serve pasta topped with crumbled Queso Fresco, pepitas, and cilatro. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
This National Pasta Month pumpkin pasta recipe is from our friend Brooke McLay over at Cheeky Kitchen.