What information do we collect?
Information You Provide – We and our service providers collect any information that you provide when you use the Sites, including when you create an account, submit a question to our experts, sign up to receive recipes or our electronic newsletters, participate in contests and sweepstakes, or otherwise contact us with a question, comment, or request. This information can include, but is not limited to, your name; contact information; username, password, and other registration information; and information you provide when you contact us.
Information Automatically Collected From You – We and our service providers may automatically collect certain technical information from your computer when you use the Sites, such as your Internet Protocol address, your browser type, your operating system, the pages you view on the Sites, the pages you view immediately before and after you access the Sites, and the search terms you enter on the Sites. This information allows us to recognize you and personalize your experience if you return to the Sites using the same computer and to improve the Sites and the services we provide. We and our service providers may collect this information using “cookies,” which are small text files that the Sites saves on your computer using your web browser and accesses when you return, or similar technologies.
How do we use this information?
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including, but not limited to:
- providing you with information you request;
- providing you with information about the Sites or required notices;
- facilitating sweepstakes or contests that you enter;
- delivering marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- customizing your experience when using the Sites, such as by providing interactive or personalized elements on the Sites and providing you with content based on your interests;
- allowing us to improve the Sites and the services we provide, such as by better tailoring our content to our users’ needs and preferences;
- generating and analyzing statistics about your use of the Sites;
- helping our advertisers and sponsors better understand our users; and
- detecting, preventing, and responding to fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of law, or other misuse of the Sites.
We also may combine or aggregate any of the information we collect through the Sites or elsewhere for any of these purposes.
Under what circumstances do we disclose this information?
We may disclose the information we collect from you through the Sites:
- to affiliates and service providers who work on our behalf, provided that such service providers shall only use the information to carry out the function being provided on our behalf;
- to business partners who may deliver marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or to comply with government reporting obligations;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary (a) to protect our rights, the integrity of the Sites, or your safety or the safety of others, or (b) to detect, prevent, or respond to fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of law, or other misuse of the Sites; and
- to affiliates, service providers, advisors, and other third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets.
- to members, sponsors, and judges associated with a contest, sweepstakes, or similar promotion and as specified in any associated governing rules;
In addition, we may share aggregate reports on user demographics and traffic patterns, as well as de-identified information, with third parties.
The Sites also may contain links to websites published by third parties. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such websites that are not under our control. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of each website you visit.
Where is this information stored?
Information collected through the Sites will be processed in and subject to the laws of the United States, which may not provide the same level protection for your personal information as your home country, and may be available to the United States government or its agencies under a lawful order made in the United States. In addition, we may transfer your information outside the United States to our affiliates, business partners, and service providers located in other countries. By using the Sites, you consent to such transfer to, and processing in, the United States and these other countries.
How is your information secured?
We strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to safeguard the information collected by the Sites. However, no information system can be 100% secure, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to the Sites over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks.
If you decide you do not want to receive our electronic newsletters, recipes, or other information that we provide by e-mail, you may opt out of the receipt of such e-mail communications by following the unsubscribe instructions in each e-mail.
We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. If you become aware that your child or any child under your care has provided us with information without your consent, please contact us at the contact information listed below.